Tuesday, 23 October 2012

National Trust -Upton House

Another flying visit in between meetings; this time I stopped off at Upton House

This is the country home (not main home) of Walter Samuel, 2nd Viscount Bearstead who made his fortune from Shell.

(not my favourite company - have a look here for details), but anyway, a fascinating look into life in the 1930s. There's something so intriguing about poking about a bedroom or bathroom that is exactly how it would have been 80 years ago - far more so than looking at dusty paintings.

I also just about had time to run across the lawn and pretend that I was playing croquet in my own stately pile, before doing the house tour at a ridiculous pace, and checking out the second hand bookshop which is housed in what used to be the kitchen pantry.






No comments:

Post a Comment