Tuesday, 19 June 2012

Room to Read

Yesterday's charity thing was buying a book called "Hong Kong ABC" for the McBaby in my bid to make him multilingual (as part of this project, I seem to be turning myself into a Tiger Mum in the process - ROAR!)

I was looking for some sort of Chinese nursery rhyme book with CD but didn't manage to find anything. I scoured the shelves, but the only likely looking aisle had a bunch of women sitting on the floor reading to their children, preventing me from having a look as it's impossible to navigate a busy store with a recalcitrant pushchair and heavy baby. (I know this because I tried to find a book on this subject too).

So, we came away with this one which I spotted under his foot while trying to take a pic of the McBaby with the HK skyline behind him out of the window!




Each letter of the alphabet is illustrated and is accompanied by a piece of CHinese culture such as "dim sum" for D and "wet market" for W. I've been enjoying reading the book to the McBaby while he has equally enjoyed eating it.

All proceeds from the book go to a charity called "Room to Read" which works to improve literacy and gender equality in developing countries. Literacy is something that's very close to my heart as reading is such an important and joyful part of my life.







www.roomtoread.org/

No comments:

Post a Comment