Monday, 11 July 2011

Sunday, 10th July -Cancer Research UK Race for Life



I signed up to do the Race for Life months ago - March, I think, and was surprised that it had rolled around already and caught me unaware with no training at all!

As you know, it's a 5km race for females who gain sponsorship from friends and family to raise money for Cancer Research UK. My nearest event was at Newbury Showground which is frustratingly unwalkable from Newbury and with no public transport, creates traffic chaos on the A34. However, the target for this event was £216,058, so if that is anywhere near achieved, then these traffic niggles and my quibble about the amount of mail that the charity sends through the post can be considered minor.

There's always a nice atmosphere of togetherness at these events and there's a lot of fun to be had during the warm up (I elected to snooze through this bit though - I needed to conserve every drop of energy for the run itself!).

There's people of all ages - I saw a mother run the event with a very small baby, there were little girls, teenagers (one who stopped dead in front of me to reply to a text!), mothers and grandmothers.

Most women have a sign for their backs to let you know who they're running the Race for Life for, and these are hugely personal and inspiring.

I finished my race in just over half an hour, and considering I'd done no training at all and didn't want to push myself for reasons that I can't share here, I was fairly pleased with that!

About Cancer Research UK
The UK's leading funder of cancer research
Cancer Research UK is the world's leading charity dedicated to beating cancer through research.

Our groundbreaking work in finding new ways to prevent, diagnose and treat cancer has saved millions of lives.

What we do
We fund research into many aspects of cancer through the work of more than 4,000 scientists, doctors and nurses across the UK.

Our vision – together we will beat cancer – is only achievable thanks to people like you taking part in and supporting Race for Life events.

In 2007 we set ourselves ten ambitious goals to help measure our success in beating cancer. We work to achieve these goals by:

Carrying out world-class research to improve our understanding of cancer and find out how to prevent, diagnose and treat different kinds of cancer.
Ensuring that our findings are used to improve the lives of all cancer patients.
Helping people to understand cancer, the progress we are making and the choices each person can make.
Working in partnership with others to achieve the greatest impact in the global fight against cancer.
Our work is entirely funded by the public so the money you raise for your Race for Life event can help us achieve our goals and give hope to people affected by cancer both now and in the future.


www.raceforlifesponsorme.org/margaretmcdonnell0101
www.raceforlife.org

No comments:

Post a Comment