Saturday, 12 March 2011

Saturday, 12th March - Pang, Kennet and Lambourn Countryside Project (part of FWAG -Farming and Wildlife Action Group)



Today's 'charity a day' was a volunteer event organised by the Pang, Kennet and Lambourn Valleys countryside project to clean up the River Lambourn. As I was running a bit late, I was in the second group that was sent over in the direction of Shaw House, so a lovely part of the town - or it would be if it weren't strewn with rubbish. I spent two hours there and I alone managed to fill up two bin bags of rubbish from the town stretch of the river Lambourn and the banks and there were about 20 of us who managed to fill two skips that awaited.

Amazing what you find.....



Armed with gloves, a black bin bag and a litter picker, it's incredibly satisfying and the area looked amazing afterwards. Every now and again though, you find a bit of rubbish so mind-boggling that you wonder who it is that leaves this stuff here. Between us, we found lots of fireworks, empty cans (how long is it since they sold Cherry coke for pete's sake?), newspapers, a shoe!, gloves, traffic cones and of course the obligatory bags of dog poo that people have cleaned up but then thrown into the grass.

Helped by lovely weather and nice like-minded people, it's a great way to get outside and get some exercise, but I was feeling quite unwell and thought I'd better get back into bed after elevenses.




Funnily enough, Lucy Mangan's Guardian column captured up how I felt so brilliantly that I had to do a double take as I thought I'd written it! www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/2011/mar/12/disability-britain-society-lucy-mangan?INTCMP=SRCH)

So I could have been productive, but the group as a whole did a fabulous clean-up job! The river looks wonderful, let's hope it stays that way for a while....

www.pangandkennetvalleys.org.uk/

No comments:

Post a Comment