Saturday, 29 January 2011

Saturday, 29th January -the Big Issue



Times are tough for everyone and I for one have been slashing the cash rather than splashing it - not that I have much or spend much. But today I met someone in such dire straits that I realised just how lucky most of us are. George is a Big Issue seller from Moldova who has three children to look after, and I was aware of just how desperate he was when he sold me a Big Issue from October that I recall having seen before. I bought him some nappies and baby formula milk and gave him all the cash in my wallet which was destined for a yoga class which seemed a bit of an extravagance under the circs.

Not only is the Big Issue an extremely well written and interesting read, it's tehre to offer homeless people the opportunity to earn a legitimate income by buying each copy for £1 and selling it for £2, keeping £1 for themselves.

They say: "We believe in offering ‘a hand up, not a hand out’, but we also recognise that earning an income is the first step on the journey away from homelessness. The Big Issue Foundation is a registered charity which exists to link vendors with the vital support which will help them address the issues which have led to their homelessness. The Foundation works exclusively with vendors, offering support, advice and referrals."

www.bigissue.com

No comments:

Post a Comment